Julia Burney Witherspoon, a police officer from Wisconsin, founded Cops ‘n’ Kids in Allentown. Cops ‘n’ Kids is a non-profit organization that brings together children and the community through books and reading. The board, staff, volunteers and members of the community all make donations to help. Be sure to attend one of their upcoming programs or events.
Cops ‘n’ Kids Allentown Events
The Cops ‘n’ Kids Reading Room has many free activities available to the community. At this event, children are allowed to choose books that they would like to take home! The Reading Room is open to the public each Wednesday. Stop by Northampton Community College from 11 AM – 7 PM. There are several things that this organization will do to help children including:
- Making sure that all kids can get books in their homes
- Helping to nourish healthy relationships between children and local police officers
- Helping to influence a love for learning amongst children and families by giving literacy-based experiences that are valuable and worthwhile
Cops ‘n’ Kids Community Programs
The Cops ‘n’ Kids Organization has community programs available for those who would like to help. If this is something someone would consider, there are many things you would be able to do to help including:
- Collect books for donation – either new or gently used
- Keep plenty of children’s books in police substations. Also, encourage the children to come into the substation and pick out a book that they would like and to meet all of the neighborhood policemen
- Give out books to young people in the Lehigh Valley area
- Place a unique label in each book that has the signature of a member that is involved in the event. This helps the experience feel more personal.
- Volunteer to read to children, pick up books, or deliver books to various locations
This Cops ‘n’ Kids program is a great program for children to get involved with. Over 753,000 books have been distributed to kids throughout the Lehigh Valley by this program nurturing the community and literacy at the same time! Get into a vehicle from Scott Family of Dealerships and travel to the next event. Both you and your child are sure to find this experience fun and rewarding.